UN Official Yumkella, Top Executives Headline Energy Efficiency Global Forum
Alliance to Save Energy’s fifth annual Energy Efficiency Global Forum (EE Global), co-hosted this year by the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance, opens today at The Peabody Orlando. Over the next two and a half days, nearly 100 public- and private-sector speakers from six continents will share their insights and innovations with hundreds of corporate and government executives who are committed to advancing energy efficiency worldwide.
EE Global ‘Virtual Podium’ to Share Breaking News with On- & Off-Site Press
For the first time, EE Global will include an on-site, multi-faceted news conference – EE Global Virtual Podium: A Series of Energy Efficiency Press Conferences – offering breaking news from global corporations and organizations at the forefront of energy efficiency technologies and policies. Journalists who are unable to attend in person can register online to participate in the live webstream and view the electronic press kit.
Yumkella Addresses Plenary Session
At the morning plenary session on March 28, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) Director-General Dr. Kandeh Yumkella will elaborate on the UN’s designation of 2012 as the International Year of Sustainable Energy for All, whose goals include doubling the rate of energy efficiency improvements around the world.
The conference agenda includes a total of three plenary sessions and four sets of concurrent Executive Dialogue Sessions Another highlight is the Solutions Showcase trade show featuring dozens of exhibit booths with the latest energy-efficient products for business, industry, government and consumers.
“By bringing together the foremost thought leaders in the energy efficiency sphere, EE Global 2012 will become more than a conference – it will be an action-inspiring event,” observed Alliance President Kateri Callahan. “In that connection – and in moving towards UNIDO’s goal of doubling energy efficiency worldwide – the conference will examine the role of wide-scale business adoption of energy efficiency practices and enactment of comprehensive energy policies in making energy efficiency a mainstream proposition.”
“The Southeastern United States has traditionally been seen as an energy efficiency laggard,” said Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance President Michael Mills. “EE Global is the leading international forum for advancing knowledge and action around energy efficiency, and this year’s focus on municipal efficiency efforts provides a unique platform to highlight the progress being made in the Southeast while injecting new ideas and relationships into the continuing work.”
Plenary Sessions Explore Innovation, Productivity, UNIDO Goal
Joining Callahan in addressing today’s opening plenary session (4:00-6:00 pm), Energy Efficiency: Spurring Innovation & Driving Productivity, are:
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus;
- U.S. Ambassador to Finland Bruce Oreck;
- Bosch Thermotechnology North AmericaPresident & CEO Ervin Cash;
- Philips North AmericaChairman Gregory Sebasky;
- Siemens Building TechnologiesChief Executive Officer Andreas Schierenbeck;
- Southeast Energy Efficiency AlliancePresident Michael Mills; and
- Whirlpool CorporationVice President, Engineering & Technology, Christian Gianni.
Secretary Mabus is expected to emphasize that reforming energy use and policy within the Department of the Navy will contribute to the nation’s long-term energy security, encourage development of efficiencies and promote environmental stewardship – in turn improving the combat and operational effectiveness of our Armed Forces.
Speakers at the morning plenary session on Wednesday, March 28 (9:00-11:00 am), Energy Efficiency: The First Solution for Sustainable Energy for All, are:
- UNIDO Director-GeneralDr. Kandeh Yumkella;
- Asian Development Bank Department of External Relations Principal Director Ann Quon;
- International Energy Agency Deputy Executive Director Ambassador Richard Jones;
- Schneider Electric U.S. Country President Jeff Drees;
- U.S. Department of StateSpecial Envoy and Coordinator for International Energy Affairs, Bureau of Energy Resources Carlos Pascual; and
- World Bank Department of Sustainable Energy Director S. Vijay Iyer.
Visionary Awards Recognize Leading Cities
The closing plenary and awards luncheon (March 29, 12:45-2:30 pm), Energy Efficiency: The Building Blocks for Sustainable Cities, will honor cities on four continents that are leading the way on energy efficiency innovation and implementation. Siemens Industry Inc.Vice President and Senior Advisor Bob Dixon will make remarks in recognition of the company’s sponsorship of EE Global’s closing event. Awards will then be presented to:
- Director of Sustainability Dr. Nawal Al-Hosany on behalf of Masdar City, United Arab Emirates;
- Lord Mayor Boris Palmer on behalf of Tuebingen, Germany;
- Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus Chief Executive Officer Matt Enstice on behalf of Buffalo, N.Y.;and
- Director, Government Liaison, Victorian Government Americas Office, Libby Ferguson on behalf of Melbourne, Australia.