ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
Who We Are
Founded in 1977 by a pair of U.S. senators who recognized the enormous opportunity of energy efficiency, the Alliance to Save Energy is a nonprofit, bipartisan alliance of business, government, environmental and consumer leaders advocating for enhanced energy productivity to achieve economic growth, a cleaner environment, and greater energy security, affordability and reliability.
Our Mission: To convene diverse stakeholders on bipartisan initiatives that drive improved energy productivity through policy advocacy, education, communications and research.
Our Vision: A nation that uses energy more productively to achieve economic growth, a cleaner environment and greater energy security, affordability and reliability.
Tell me more.
Improving energy productivity – including through energy efficiency – means getting more economic output from every unit of energy used. It is the cheapest, fastest and simplest way to address our energy and environmental goals – and a powerful economic catalyst. Improved productivity will save consumers and businesses money, drive innovation, improve U.S competitiveness, create jobs and economic activity, and sharply reduce pollution, including carbon emissions. Already, the energy efficiency sector is among the leading job creators in the entire energy sector, with 2.2 million jobs, according to the Department of Energy.
Since 1980, we have doubled U.S. energy productivity – we now get twice as much GDP from each unit of energy consumed as we did then. We can double it again.
Founded in 1977 by Sens. Charles H. Percy (R-Ill.) and Hubert Humphrey (D-Minn.), the Alliance to Save Energy was launched following the oil embargo of the 1970’s – a pivotal time in our nation’s history that exposed fundamental weaknesses in our nation’s economic security and challenged us to develop innovate energy solutions. Decades later, it continues its mission to create a more energy-productive world.
The Alliance to Save Energy devotes specific effort working on the following issues. Click on each to learn more about our work in these areas.
- Federal Policy: We focus on influencing and promoting effective bipartisan legislation, regulatory actions and administrative policy.
- Energy 2030: We bring together national and local leaders to advance implementation of a roadmap for achieving the shared goal of doubling U.S. energy productivity.
- Global Alliance for Energy Productivity: We work with international decision makers, governments and companies to achieve the goal of doubling global energy productivity, providing a global, energy productivity-focused framework for the development of policies and programs that promote greater economic prosperity and a more secure future across all regions.
- Clean Power Plan: We have developed a hub of tools and resources for policy makers and industry participants to explain the role of energy efficiency as the fastest, easiest and most cost-effective mechanism available for compliance with the Clean Power Plan.
- Buildings: With buildings comprising approximately 40 percent of U.S. energy waste, we promote the adoption, implementation and advancement of building energy codes in the U.S. and abroad, aiming to make the most energy-exhaustive sector more efficient.
- CarbonCount™: We have developed a scoring tool that evaluates bond investments in U.S.-based energy efficiency and renewable energy projects and now offer third-party green bond certifications in accordance with the CarbonCount methodology.
- PowerSave Schools: We work to empower students to be leaders with measurable, best practices on energy efficiency to address the real-world challenge of increasing utility bills, and move their schools and communities toward a greener future. PowerSave Schools reduce consumption an average of 5-15% in one year through no-cost operations and behavior changes.
The Alliance is led by a diverse and bipartisan board of directors comprised of members of Congress and corporate and nonprofit executives united by the desire to see American families and businesses save money and energy and to ensure a healthy environment for future generations.
At the core of the Alliance’s success is our ever-growing roster of Associates, which include diverse businesses, nonprofit organizations and government entities that share in the Alliance’s belief that energy productivity builds a healthier economy, a cleaner environment and stronger energy security.