Vice President, Senior Counsel
Metrus is seeking a Vice President, Senior Counsel who will serve as a key member of the company’s leadership team and provide direct legal support to our growing energy efficiency and clean energy business. The candidate will focus on the drafting, negotiation and execution of project-level contracts, with an emphasis on efficiency service agreements (ESAs), power purchase agreements (PPAs), engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts and loan agreements. In addition to negotiating and structuring transactions, the VP, Senior Counsel will assess legal and business risks to inform Metrus’ strategy and drive improvements in how the company develops and finances projects.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with a passion and appreciation for Metrus’ mission to lead the way to a sustainable, low-carbon future by bringing energy efficiency and clean energy projects to life. They will have a proven track record in managing and closing project finance-related transactions in the energy efficiency, renewable energy or other relevant industries. The position will be based in San Francisco, CA.
Metrus is committed to anti-racism in all areas that we navigate as a business. Diversity is important to Metrus and we encourage all to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
The individual’s responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal guidance on commercial and regulatory matters related to the development and financing of energy efficiency and clean energy projects
- Advising sales and project development-related efforts by thoroughly assessing and clearly communicating the potential risks and rewards of different transactions
- Drafting and negotiating project-level contracts (ESAs, PPAs, EPC contracts and loan agreements)
- Managing the due diligence and closing process for project financings, including supporting communications with lenders and investors
- Overseeing change orders, lien issues, warranty claims, insurance claims and potential disputes
- Spearheading efforts to implement the continuous improvement of Metrus’ project-level contracts, including ensuring optimal risk allocation and the efficiency of our project closing process
- Providing concise and thoughtful legal advice on a wide range of general corporate matters
- Participating and providing input to the overall strategic direction of the company
- Coordinating and efficiently managing outside legal counsel as well as managing and providing leadership guidance to Metrus’ in house paralegal
Experience and Qualifications
The successful individual will also need to have the following qualifications:
- Strong track record in structuring, drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts for energy efficiency or renewable energy transactions
- Minimum of 7 years of experience drafting and negotiating project finance-related transactions, including ESAs, PPAs, EPCs, MIPAs, APAs and leases
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and manage negotiations with project stakeholders, including customers, contractors and lenders
- Clear communicator, comfortable explaining issues to sales team members and presenting risks and structures to Metrus’ executive team
- Ability to manage heavy workload in fast-paced start-up environment with limited oversight
- Entrepreneurial and creative thinker with exceptional organizational and planning skills
The candidate will have a U.S. credentialed law degree from a strong ABA accredited law school.
Salary and Benefits
Salary for qualified candidates will be commensurate with their experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, stock option grants, 401k plan and an unlimited paid time off policy.
Please submit a resume when applying for this job posting. Please email a copy to Bob Hinkle at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Metrus Energy (www.metrusenergy.com) is a full-service specialty finance company, providing project development and financing services for energy efficiency, water efficiency, energy storage, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, cogeneration and solar projects at commercial, industrial and institutional facilities. Through its comprehensive range of financing solutions, Metrus enables facilities to achieve immediate operational and environmental benefits from impactful efficiency measures without the capital expense. Metrus enables customers to treat energy and water efficiency as resources that improve their bottom line and enhance corporate sustainability. Metrus is a well-established efficiency financing leader and is the creator of the Efficiency Services Agreement (ESA) structure that has been utilized to finance numerous large-scale efficiency-as-a-service retrofit projects in the United States. Metrus is a member of the Alliance to Save Energy and Women in Cleantech and Sustainability. Metrus was selected as a key financial partner under the U.S. Department of Energy and White House’s Better Buildings Challenge (BBC) program.