Director of Residential Energy Services
Class title: Non-Classified
Salary: $6,500.00 - $7,916.67 Monthly
Hiring Pay Rate: Although the full salary range is listed, the anticipated hiring range is $6,500.00 to $7,083.34 monthly.
Opening Date: 09/13/18
Closing Date: 09/27/18 11:59 PM
Job Type: Full Time
The mission of the Colorado Energy Office (CEO) is to deliver cost-effective energy services and advance innovative energy solutions for the benefit of all Coloradans. CEO develops and implements programming to support that mission and achieve outcomes within Colorado's energy sectors. The Residential Energy Services Unit is responsible for leading CEO's efforts to provide comprehensive energy services aimed at reducing energy consumption and lowering energy costs for households throughout all of Colorado.
Description of Job:
The Director of the Residential Energy Services Unit is responsible for leading CEO's efforts to provide comprehensive energy services aimed at reducing energy consumption and lowering energy costs for households throughout all of Colorado. The Director will oversee the Weatherization Assistance Program which provides energy retrofits services to income qualified households aimed at reducing client's energy burden as well as financial tools for home energy improvements. The Director also looks holistically across income spectrum to design, implement, and communicate programming and policy initiatives that ensure Colorado's residential energy consumers have access to cost-effective home energy improvements. This position manages CEO staff within the Residential Energy Services Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise unit staff, and maintain employee performance and accountability. Identify unit staffing needs, and support employee professional development and training. Conduct staff performance evaluations.
- Create an environment in which CEO employees are valued and effective, and supporting attainment of CEO's mission.
Programming Oversight and Planning
- Work with Operations staff to lead the Residential Energy Services Unit's annual strategic planning process. Develop and submit to CEO's Executive Team a programming plan that evaluates the previous fiscal year and identifies market sector goals and barriers, strategies to achieve each goal, and corresponding budget.
- Work with unit staff to implement, evaluate, and adapt strategies, as necessary, to meet goals developed for the residential sector.
- Oversee the unit's budget, approval of unit expenditures, contracts and purchase orders, and ensure accurate tracking for each individual program and strategy.
- Ensure unit compliance with federal grant requirements, Colorado Revised Statutes, CEO policies and procedures, and the Governor's office employee handbook.
Weatherization Assistance Program
- CEO provides direct energy retrofit services to eligible households through contracts with statewide service providers. CEO coordinates the funding sources, establishes performance standards, conducts technical and administrative training, and performs compliance reviews of the service providers. The Director supervises the administration of the program, and delegates grant management responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with Colorado's financing institutions and utilities to ensure Colorado's residential consumers have access to financing for energy improvements. If financing gaps are identified, supervise the development or institutional support of complementary and non-competing financial products.
- Supervise the deployment of loan products necessary to cover the state's remaining capital gaps. Currently, this includes CEO's partnerships with lenders through the RENU loan program and utilities through on-bill repayment programs.
Energy Building Codes
- Supervise programming that provides technical assistance to local municipalities on the implementation of energy building codes, and provide information on compliance methods for builders, designers, engineers, and architects.
- Develop and implement new service offerings and partnerships for the benefit of the residential sector.
Public Policy and Stakeholder Engagement
- Develop public policy solutions that address needs in the residential sector.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders within the market sector including: federal and state agencies, local governments, electric and natural gas utilities, industry coalitions like NASCSP, Weatherization subgrantees, financial institutions, consumer groups, regulators, home builders, and representatives from the energy efficiency and renewable energy industries.
- Engage with representatives from other states to share ideas and collaborate on relevant topics
- Monitor state and federal legislation to assess potential impacts on Residential Energy Services Unit.
- Represent CEO externally at conferences, events on relevant topics, and by providing expert testimony when required.
Collaboration with Other Units
- Meet regularly with CEO's Leadership, including other Unit Directors to provide input and recommendations on office-wide priorities.
- Work with the Public Affairs Unit to design and implement regulatory and legislative strategies to achieve the Residential Energy Services Unit's goals.
- Oversee the unit's stakeholder and customer outreach opportunities to enhance and promote program offerings. Collaborate with Public Affairs staff to develop targeted strategies, resources and materials. Provide consumer education on residential energy use, utility rebates, and other state, federal, and private sector financial incentives. Provide Colorado homeowners, homebuyers, and renters with information with which to improve the energy performance of their homes.
- Work collaboratively with the Operations staff to streamline the office's policies and procedures in order to reduce operational inefficiencies, and promote the use of data driven decision making throughout the organization.
- Adheres to all health and safety policies in the planning and execution of activities
- Uses word processing, spreadsheet, database, and scheduling software applications to prepare correspondence, plans, reports, schedules, and other documents related to the project
- Other duties as requested and required.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights:
- BA/BS in public administration, business administration, political science, or a related field. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years professional experience is required, including at least 2 years of personnel management experience. Experience in both public and private sectors preferred.
- Project and contract management experience including developing and tracking budgets
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Strong written, oral, and presentation communication skills
- Strong leadership and management skills, and the capacity to contribute to building a team focused on high quality customer service
- Experience in and knowledge of energy issues
- Experience with a Weatherization Assistance Program or other income qualified programming.
- Experience working in energy finance
- Experience working with utilities on energy service offerings
- Experience in program design and development
- Experience in energy policy including legislative and regulatory affairs
A cover letter and resume must be submitted with the application for consideration. Your cover letter and resume must provide sufficient detail about your background and experience to allow the screening panel to properly assess your experience in the required elements.
How to apply: Thank you for your interest. Submit an on-line application by clicking the link below or submit a State of Colorado Application for Announced Vacancy and all supplemental questions according to the instructions provided below. Failure to submit a complete and timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that application materials are received by the appropriate Human Resources office before the closing date and time listed above.
If not applying on-line, submit application to:
Please complete the online application and attach a cover letter and resume.
Department Contact Information:
Methods of Appointment: This position is not part of the classified state personnel system.