Director of Research
Director of Research
About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances and equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
The organization serves as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. From advancing off-grid solar technologies, bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to cutting the catastrophic climate impacts of air conditioning, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more here.
CLASP is seeking a Director of Research who will bring thought leadership to the appliance sector and will lead the design and management of a variety of research projects to accelerate our transition to a more sustainable world. Working cross-programmatically, the Director of Research will manage research efforts on a range of issues related to appliance energy efficiency for on, off, and weak grid policy and market contexts. The Director will be responsible for disseminating and delivering this research to key audiences and stakeholders, and for the technical rigor and overall quality of all CLASP research products. The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional communication skills, a natural ability for analysis, and a proven track record of developing and translating thought-leading research into proven policy and market outcomes. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, s/he will serve as an intellectual partner and possess a keen ability to marshal the necessary internal and external resources to influence, lead, and support the work of CLASP and its partners.
- Design, lead, and manage the annual research strategy in collaboration with communications and program leads and with a team of researchers.
- Collaborate with communications and programs teams to disseminate and present research in articles and talks in forums around the world to promote appliance energy efficiency best practices.
- Lead projects through all stages of the research process, including scoping, methodology development, analysis, and synthesis.
- Manage and liaise with contractors, local organizations, policymakers, industry representatives, and other stakeholders to write, prepare, and promote technical best practices through research products.
- Obtain relevant and crucial information from diverse sources such as reports and academic journal articles.
- Oversee a team of researchers in undertaking surveys/on-the-ground research projects.
- Work closely with, and collaborate with the program teams to analyze data and lead data collection efforts.
- Maintain and enhance CLASP’s tools and modelling capabilities.
- Design research specifications, estimates, M&E metrics, terms of reference, and work plans.
Skills and Experience
- Graduate or postgraduate degree in energy- or environment-related field (quantitative background preferred; economics, engineering, public policy coursework helpful)
- Experience working within and collaborating across international, matrixed program teams
- 10 years of experience in research and/or consulting with managerial experience
- Excellent research skills and the ability to balance rigorous quantitative research with practical application
- Entrepreneurial approach to design and execution of long-term initiatives, and proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving
- Understanding of energy modeling and M&E; ability to detect patterns and interpret data in the context of large scale energy systems
- Experience working with energy-consuming products, test methods, government standards, and procurement programs
- Deep knowledge of energy efficiency, energy access, renewable energy, and the policy and market environments
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Ability to conceptualize complex technical information to industry, policy, and investor audience
- A strong work ethic with experience initiating and managing complex projects and timelines, while supervising others, including subcontractors
- Willingness to travel (domestically and overseas)
- A passion for, and connection to, CLASP’s mission to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances and equipment commonly used every day
Compensation and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition to salary, CLASP offers competitive benefits, including health insurance, unlimited leave, holidays, retirement plan, and a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options after a certain period of employment. These positions are full-time, based in the organization's Washington, DC office with travel up to 30%.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for a position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. The writing sample should demonstrate how you can turn technical information into engaging copy and be no more than two pages. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. These positions will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.
Help the Alliance advocate for policies to use energy more efficiently – supporting job creation, reduced emissions, and lower costs. Contact your member of Congress.
Energy efficiency is smart, nonpartisan, and practical. So are we. Our strength comes from an unparalleled group of Alliance Associates working collaboratively under the Alliance umbrella to pave the way for energy efficiency gains.
The power of efficiency is in your hands. Supporting the Alliance means supporting a vision for using energy more productively to achieve economic growth, a cleaner environment, and greater energy security, affordability, and reliability.