Reporting to the SVP of Policy & Research, the Director of Policy works with senior leadership to manage the Alliance’s policy agenda, with a specific focus on legislative tracking and analysis, drafting policy positions and legislation, working with congressional committees and staff to advance legislation, and conducting policy and initiative-related research. They also support policy related activities of the Alliance Active Efficiency Collaborative and 50x50 Action Network. The individual manages a Policy Manager, and Associates, and is expected to work collaboratively across the organization and with a myriad of external stakeholders.
Core Energy Efficiency Policy
- Work with senior leadership and staff to develop Alliance positions on policy issues, including federal and state legislation and rulemakings;
- Support the SVP and team in developing strategic plans for, and ensuring successful management of, the Policy & Programs, Tax, Buildings, and State & Local Committees;
- Serve as the Policy team’s point-person on grid, tax, appropriations and other issues, with responsibilities to include reading reports, attending hearings and meetings, keeping the team informed of legislative and political developments, and developing legislative proposals;
- Maintain and build relationships with Members of Congress and staff, government agencies, advocacy organizations, Alliance Associates and other energy policy stakeholders, with a focus on specific legislative opportunities and negotiations;
- Manage the implementation of the Alliance’s policy agenda, including drafting of position briefs and policy proposals;
- Ensure that all policy research produced and deployed by the Alliance, including statistics and legislative impact analysis, are correct and well-documented.
- Work with senior leadership and the Collaborative members to identify short and long-term policy goals and opportunities to advance Active Efficiency and achieve the Collaborative goal;
- Manage the Active Efficiency Policy Working Team, including developing and executing annual work plans, managing the team roster, and scheduling and managing meetings;
- Oversee tracking of all Active Efficiency related federal legislative and regulatory activity, including creation of fact sheets, side-by-sides and impact analyses;
- Develop policy-related content for the Collaborative website and work with communications to develop plans for promoting and highlighting the Policy Working Team’s deliverables.
50x50 Action Network
- Support the SVP by conducting legislative analysis and recommendations on items related to transportation and 50x50 priorities.
- Manage foundation contracts related to policy work, including budget development, fulfillment of grant requirements, financial tracking, and funder relations/reports.
- Develop proposals both proactively and in response to requests from foundations, government agencies and corporate entities to fund energy efficiency activities.
Experience Required: 8-15 years experience in policy analysis, government, advocacy, and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change, with a demonstrated history in developing and implementing advocacy strategies. Experience on Capitol Hill is a plus.
Education Required: Graduate degree – or comparable relevant experience - in policy advocacy, government affairs, legislative affairs, or related relevant area.
About the Alliance:
How to Apply:
Help the Alliance advocate for policies to use energy more efficiently – supporting job creation, reduced emissions, and lower costs. Contact your member of Congress.
Energy efficiency is smart, nonpartisan, and practical. So are we. Our strength comes from an unparalleled group of Alliance Associates working collaboratively under the Alliance umbrella to pave the way for energy efficiency gains.
The power of efficiency is in your hands. Supporting the Alliance means supporting a vision for using energy more productively to achieve economic growth, a cleaner environment, and greater energy security, affordability, and reliability.