The Alliance to Save Energy is seeking a Communications Intern to provide support to the Policy and Communications team in its efforts to communicate on federal energy efficiency policies. The ideal candidate has strong writing and speaking skills, an interest in the latest communications trends and the energy industry, and the ability to work independently and multitask in a fast-paced environment. This intern will assist the Communications staff in the Alliance’s online engagement strategies including generating media coverage, researching emerging communications strategies, creating engaging email, writing original blog posts and web content, and developing social media content.
The Summer 2019 internship term begins April 1 and extends through August 30 at Alliance headquarters in Washington, D.C. The position is paid ($13.25/hour through June 30; $14.00 starting July 1), and sick leave is offered. This is a full-time, on-site position.
Digital Communications (40%):
- Identify and draft social media content for Alliance social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Proofread, edit, update, and post written content on the Alliance website using Drupal.
- Assist in website redesign process.
- Track success through analytical reports.
- Format photos and assist with graphic design projects.
- Help maintain editorial calendar.
Media Communications (30%):
- Develop blog ideas and draft blogs on timely issues.
- Monitor and report on coverage of the Alliance to Save Energy, energy efficiency, Alliance staff, and relevant legislation to support the Communications and Policy teams.
- Assist with drafting, editing, and distributing press releases, statements, and media pitches.
Email, Marketing, and Other Duties (30%):
- Draft, edit, and format email marketing communications, including newsletters and event invitations.
- Maintain contact information databases.
- Assist in upkeep of branding materials, including guidelines, brochure, and templates.
- Assist with shifts at front desk reception (welcome guests, accept packages, answer phone calls).
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree—required
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working as part of a team
- Excellent writing and editing skills and ability to craft content on a variety of platforms
- Ability to work independently and take ownership over projects and assignments
- Ability to multitask and jump quickly from one project to another on short notice
- Self-motivated and dependable
- Familiarity with professional trends for social media channels
- Interest in, and familiarity with, strategic communications, traditional media strategies, digital media (including blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.), and/or public relations
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Adobe Creative Cloud, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Knowledge of AP style
- Interest in the environment, energy, and policy
How to Apply
Please include a cover letter and writing sample with your resume, uploaded as one single file (PDF or Word). Cover letters can be addressed to "Internship Coordinators." No phone calls, please.