50x50 in the News
As of June 2019
Coverage of June 2019 report, “Building the Foundation for 50x50: A Policy Proposal for Infrastructure and Surface Transportation Authorization”
Inside EPA: Coalition Floats Plan For Highway Bill To Boost EVs, Low-Carbon Transport (6/17/19, subscription required)
- “Among the report's recommendations is a "better balanced" approach to infrastructure funding, with the report noting that the federal government typically provides an 80 percent match for highway projects, but only a 40 percent match, or less, for transit-related projects. This leads to "a natural bias against the more efficient transportation mode," the report says.”
Transportation Today: New proposal aims to modernize transportation infrastructure in efficient way (6/17/19)
- “The proposal is aimed at modernizing transportation infrastructure while improving energy efficiency as well as creating sustainable and accessible mobility by, among other things, updating a host of long-standing transportation programs with an eye toward the future.”
Utility Dive: Utility, EV coalition calls for 50% transportation energy reduction by 2050 (6/13/19)
- “The campaign calls for expanding and modernizing transportation programs, funding seaport and airport efficiency improvements, and strengthening investments in EV charging infrastructure, as well as in programs that would increase ride sharing, biking and walking.”
S&P Global Market Intelligence: Transportation coalition calls for more US electric-vehicle investment (6/11/19)
- “The proposal, spearheaded by members of the Alliance to Save Energy's 50x50 Transportation Commission, aims to expand and modernize transportation programs to ensure they are sufficiently funded and designed to support energy efficiency.”
Politico Morning Transportation (6/11/19)
- “In the upcoming highways and transit bill, the Alliance to Save Energy and members of its 50x50 Commission on U.S. Transportation Sector Efficiency are hoping for a “sustainable” Highway Trust Fund solution as well as attention to resiliency, maintenance and funding for ‘efficient modes of transportation.’”
Greentech Media: Coalition of Automakers and Utilities Unveils Transportation Policy ‘Roadmap’ (6/11/19)
- “The recently formed 50x50 Commission is out with a set of new proposals aimed at updating U.S. transportation infrastructure for the 21st century.”
E&E Daily: Transportation - Advocates eye smaller infrastructure reforms (6/11/19, subscription required)
- “The coalition is notable for its breadth: It includes the Edison Electric Institute, General Motors Co., Audi AG, National Grid and the American Public Transportation Association.”
Assorted 50x50 news, Nov. 2018 – April 2019
Washington Post op-ed by 50x50 Commissioner Jack Gillis, executive director of the Consumer Federation of America: Electric cars are finally starting to take off. Congress should keep them affordable. (4/15/19)
- “If Congress doesn’t keep these credits alive, the United States will hit the brakes on the growth of electric vehicles just as they are starting to take off in China.”
Transportation Today: Thirteen organizations support reduction of energy use in US transportation (11/28/18)
- "Thirteen national and regional organizations recently announced their support of the Alliance to Save Energy’s 50×50 Commission on U.S. Transportation Sector Efficiency, which will seek to identify strategies that will reduce energy use in U.S. transportation."
Greenbiz: Earth is on track for climate catastrophe — what if brands are our lifeline? (11/1/18)
- "The 50x50 Commission has been brought together by the Alliance to Save Energy. Its members include heavyweights across many industries (Audi, General Motors, Microsoft and National Grid among others)."
Coverage of September 2019 50x50 report, "Reinventing U.S. Mobility"
CleanTechnica: Cutting US Transportation Energy in Half (11/4/18)
- "Transportation is the second biggest daily expense for most American families – often above healthcare or food."
Public Utilities Fortnightly: 50% Less Energy in Transportation by 2050 (11/1/18, subscription required)
- "... an ambitious call for action, or really, an ambitious call for a number of actions by government at all levels, the energy and transportation industries, and citizen groups."
Real Clear Energy: Paving the Way for Our Future Transportation Network While Using Less Energy (op-ed by 50x50 co-chairs Scott Keogh and Dean Seavers, 10/24/18)
- "The future transportation network we envision will lay the path to better serve all Americans – but we can only realize it if we work in coordination with our policymakers to make it a reality."
S&P Global Market Intelligence: Auto, utility industries pitch energy cuts during tech transition (9/26/18, subscription required)
- "Among other recommendations, the commission called on Congress to support enhanced energy-efficiency vehicles, or E3Vs, with infrastructure investments and financial incentives."
The Energy Daily: Utilities, automakers push EVs, RNG in clean vehicle strategy (Sept. 2018, subscription required)
- "Along with actions that would support wider EV and hydrogen fuel cell vehicle adoption and a buildout of charging infrastructure, the recommendations also call for increasing use of renewable natural gas (RNG) as a transportation fuel."
Utility Dive: Utilities, carmakers launch campaign to cut US transportation energy use 50% by 2050 (9/26/18)
- "In the face of broad deregulation efforts by the Trump Administration, some companies are continuing to pursue energy and environmental goals that exceed federal requirements. Such is the case with a new initiative to increase efficiency in the U.S. transportation sector."
Transportation Today: Commission seeks to reduce transportation energy use (9/27/18)
- "The Alliance to Save Energy has formed a panel focused on cutting U.S. transportation energy use by 50 percent by 2050."
Greentech Media: Utilities, Automakers and Environmental Groups Unite Around Slashing Energy Use (9/26/18)
- “The policy suggestions they put forth are wide-ranging: encouraging public transit and biking, as well as urging the federal government to pursue research and development on transportation and provide incentives for electric vehicles.”
- “At issue here is giving corporations the incentive that that they need to implement clean energy technologies — things that no doubt require capital outlays but which may ultimately add to their bottom lines and preserve the ecology for generations to come.”
Buffalo News: Another Voice: Making transportation more energy efficient (9/26/18)
- Op-ed by 50x50 Commissioner Matthew Enstice: “Together, the 50x50 Commission is going to campaign to see these recommendations adopted. We can’t let this opportunity go by. Join us as we help America move to a more energy-efficient transportation future.”
Axios’s Generate newsletter: (9/26/18)
- “Members of a coalition that spans automakers, efficiency advocates and power companies are out with a new set of recommendations to help cut transportation energy use by 50% by 2050.”
Washington Examiner: Industry launches new clean car push amid Trump regulation roll back (9/26/18)
- “The commission is calling to raise levels of efficiency, but to do it in a way that doesn’t only rely on the EPA and Department of Transportation fuel economy regulations that focus on improving the auto industry’s fleetwide fuel-economy averages over time."
Bloomberg Environment: Automakers, Utilities Aim to Halve Transportation Energy Use by 2050 (9/26/18 - subscription required)
- “The report suggests local, state, and federal policy proposals that could cut in half transportation sector energy use by electric vehicle adoption and infrastructure development.”
Politico’s Morning Energy newsletter: 50x50 REPORT RELEASES CONSENSUS OPTIONS (9/26/18)
- “The Alliance to Save Energy convened the 50x50 Commission on U.S. Transportation Sector Efficiency to examine how the public and private sector can come together to meet "evolving transportation needs" while also reducing energy use 50 percent by 2050.”