State and Local Policy Manager
SPEER, the South-central Partnership for Energy Efficiency as a Resource, is a small but growing educational not-for-profit organization. SPEER is one of six regional energy efficiency organizations (REEOs) recognized by the US Department of Energy. SPEER’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of advanced building systems and energy efficient products and services in the South-central US. Our purpose is to advance the understanding and adoption of energy efficiency as a low-cost energy resource, and to design, implement, coordinate, and support regional projects to promote high energy performance and clean distributed energy in the built environment.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Every program area of our strategic plan involves policy at either the state or local level. The Policy Manager will provide thought leadership to our policy initiatives, which address the potential of future policy changes that affect the energy market, utility efficiency goals, and more. The work of our Policy Manager will draw from secondary sources, but may require primary or original research on topics of interest and importance to our membership and our region. This member of our team must be able to communicate very well, persuasively, both orally and in writing. We will look to this person to develop some of our most important policy positions and issue papers. This work will involve developing and maintaining a connection with a wide range of market stakeholders and with other energy policy focused organizations and individuals around the country, in order to keep our organization informed about initiatives, have a practical comprehension of what policy options may find wide acceptance, and develop or facilitate policy dialogue and consensus. This position will have interaction with state-level decision makers and other thought leaders in the energy and utilities arena.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES:
- The person that will best fit this job will have at least at least four years’ experience with energy or resources related policy. This person will have a knack for rendering the complex simple, as well as:
- Experience with the legislative process.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations that affect, or may affect our industry participants.
- Demonstrate the ability to be thoughtful and analytical, energetic and motivated, organized and articulate, including in formal writing and public speaking.
- Have the ability to work with people, and have experience with collaboration across networks or working groups of peer organizations, stakeholders, or representatives from multiple professional communities.
- Show attention to detail and quality, and have the ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously. Beneficial would be knowledge of the energy efficiency industry, electric utilities programs and policies, especially for our region which covers Texas and Oklahoma.
College education is required. An advanced degree is a plus, especially in energy or environmental policy, planning, engineering, economics, or related fields.
LOCATION AND SALARY:
This position is based in the SPEER office in Austin, Texas. Potentially 20% of Policy Manager’s time will be required for travel in the region. Occasional trips out of the region may be required. Salary is commensurate with experience. SPEER is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
All qualified candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.