Electricity Markets Scientific Engineering Associate (Energy Analysis & Environmental Impacts)
Electricity Markets Scientific Engineering Associate (Energy Analysis & Environmental Impacts) - 82919
Organization: EA-Energy Analysis Env Impacts
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Analysis & Environmental Impacts Division has an opening for a Electricity Market Scientific Engineering Associate. The Electricity Markets and Policy Group conducts data-driven, public-interest research on a variety of issues associated with electricity markets, such electric system reliability, the role of energy efficiency, demand response, renewable energy and distributed generation resources, and retail energy markets. This position will contribute to key renewable energy research products, primarily through data collection and data management along with supporting economic/engineering analyses.
What You Will Do:
• Apply technical principles to develop tools and processes to collect, clean, and analyze key time-series data.
• Develop efficient, robust, flexible, secure, and user-friendly systems for collecting, inputting, storing, and retrieving data required for analyses. Data may include electricity market data multiple years of wholesale market prices from historical or future scenarios and renewable production profiles.
• Assist in the development, design and implementation of models and tools that analyze financial and rate implications of distributed energy resources on utility shareholders and ratepayers and various alternative utility regulatory and business models that could be implemented to mitigate any negative financial impacts.
• Assist with the collection, cleaning, synthesis, and storing of relevant data used for various renewable energy analyses conducted or updated on a regular bases.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Perform other energy analysis related tasks as funding and workload dictates.
What Is Required:
• Knowledge equivalent to Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or economics and at least one year of professional technical experience related to data collection, data analysis, or data management preferred.
• Demonstrated familiarity with renewable energy technologies, markets, and policies.
• Ability to search for, collect, ensure the quality of, and assist with the analysis of diverse datasets with a strong attention to detail.
• Basic programming capabilities in Matlab and/or Python; experience in the storage and analysis of data in Microsoft Excel, an ability to learn how to work with existing (or create new) databases.
• A detailed critical eye for and willingness to suggest improvements in existing processes and products
• Effective communication skills, including demonstrated ability to identify and obtain information from diverse sources, collaborate with other researchers, present results at industry and academic conferences, and write research reports and conference papers
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Masters degree or higher in a field relevant to the work scope.
• Demonstrated familiarity with utility resource planning processes and tools, including production cost models and capacity expansion models.
• Demonstrated familiarity with electric utility cost of service studies and ratemaking principles.
• Demonstrated familiarity with demand response and energy efficiency programs, including evaluation of program cost-effectiveness.
• Experience managing and analyzing GIS data.
• Basic statistical analysis capabilities.
• Excellent academic record and previous work evaluations.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on October 18, 2016.
• This is a 1 year, term appointment with the possibility of renewal and with the possibility of conversion to career.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position requires completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=81535 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingL...). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".